Coalition for a Diverse Harvard Program: What the Hell is Ethnic Studies? And Why Should Every Alum Care in this Moment?
For 48 years, students have demanded an Ethnic Studies program at Harvard, leading protest marches, sit-ins, teach-ins and even a hunger strike. What is Ethnic Studies anyway, and why do students care so much? Renowned scholars and current students will answer those questions while illuminating the history of the Ethnic Studies movement since 1968 and how the field is critical in building foundations for antiracism and racial justice.
Wednesday, August 12, 2020 @ 5:00PM Pacific Time/8:00PM Eastern Time
Virtual Event via Zoom (details sent after registration
Cost: No charge (pre-registration is required)
Contact: Coalition for a Diverse Harvard, HarvardCoalition@gmail.com
- VIET THANH NGUYEN Radcliffe Fellow '08-09; USC professor of English, American Studies and Ethnicity; author, "The Sympathizer"; winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and a MacArthur "genius" fellowship.
- JASON FERREIRA Harvard Warren Center Visiting Scholar '19-'20; SFSU associate professor in the Dept. of Race & Resistance Studies; writing the first social history of the Third World Strike at SFSU, which led to the (still) only College of Ethnic Studies in the U.S.
- RENEE TAJIMA-PEÑA AB '80; Ethnic Studies activist since high school; UCLA professor of Asian American Studies; Oscar-nominated director, "Who Killed Vincent Chin?"; Emmy-nominated for, "No Mas Bébés"; producer, 2020 PBS series "Asian Americans".
- PHILIP DELORIA First tenured professor of Native American history at Harvard; chair of Hist & Lit. His scholarship focuses on the history of American Indian people, as well as indigenous peoples globally.
- Harvard Ethnic Studies Coalition activists ALONDRA PONCE '21, RAQUEL RIVERA '23, AJAY SINGH '21.
Program sponsored by:
Alumnae-i Network of Harvard Women
Coalition for a Diverse Harvard
First Generation Harvard Alumni
Harvard Alumni for Oceania
Harvard Arab Alumni Association
Harvard Asian American Alumni Alliance
Harvard Black Alumni Society
Harvard Ethnic Studies Coalition
Harvard Gender & Sexuality Caucus
Harvard Latino Alumni Alliance
Harvard South Asian Alumni Alliance
Harvard Progressive Jewish Alumni
Harvard Tamil Alumni Association
Harvard University Muslim Alumni
Native American Alumni of Harvard University